2012 OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO PARTICIPATE OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED.
1. Sponsor: Elsevier B.V., Radarweg 29, 1043NX, Amsterdam.
2. Eligibility: Open to individuals worldwide age 21 or older at the time of entry who are either currently enrolled as PhD student/candidate at a recognized institution or were awarded a PhD within five (5) years of the date of entry and currently works in academia or industry. Employees of Sponsor, Monkeybizniz creative agency, and its parents, subsidiaries, affiliated companies and agents, and their immediate families or those living in the same household, are not eligible to enter or win a prize. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED.
3. Competition Period: Entrants may participate in the Competition between 12:00:01 am Greenwich Mean Time (“GMT”) on March 10, 2012 and 11:59:59 pm GMT on June 14, 2012 (“Competition Period”). Sponsor's server is the official clock for this Competition.
4. How to Enter
: To enter for a chance to win a prize, (1) visit Sponsor’s website at www.BiggerBrains.com
, (2) participate in BiggerBrains game (“Game”), and (3) play and successfully complete ALL four levels of the Game in the time allotted and (4) submit the prize draw entry form by providing name, age, title, institution, email address, and country. By submitting the entry form, entrants confirm that all information provided on the form is complete, accurate and not misleading. Internet access is required to participate in the Game. All entries must be in English. Entries received in any other language shall not be considered.
5. Rules of the Game
: Game’s instructions are available for review at www.BiggerBrains.com
under the ‘Get Started’ header. A Game session will automatically end when the time allotment for the respective level runs out. Entrants must successfully complete ALL four to receive an entry form for the monthly prize draw. Entrants may play unlimited Game sessions but will receive only one (1) entry for each monthly prize draw occurring during the Competition Period. Proper submission of the entry form is required in order to be eligible for the monthly prize draws taking place during the Competition Period. Certain systems and processes will be in place to ensure fair play. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any entrant or adjust any point totals that it deems to be in breach of these Official Rules or has acted in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner.
6. Selection and Notification of Winners:
Three (3) winners will be randomly selected in the prize draws from all eligible entries received during that month. The monthly prize draws shall take place on or about
First draw: April 16, 2012, with winner notification on or about April 18, 2012
Second draw: May 16, 2012, with winner notification on or about May 18, 2012
Third draw: June 15, 2012, with winner notification on or about June 18, 2012
All winners will be notified by email and a current and valid email address is required in order to claim the prize. All grand prize winners must provide his or her full name and postal address for delivery of the prize. Prizes must be claimed by within five (5) business days after receipt of email from Sponsor or an alternate winner will be selected by Sponsor. The decisions of Sponsor shall be final and binding in all respects.
7. Prizes and Approximate Retail Values (“ARVs”):
The monthly prize draw winners will each receive one (1) Apple® 16GB WiFi iPad® 2 (Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”): €499.00). Apple and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple, Inc. who is in no way affiliated with this Competition.
Total ARV of all prizes in this Competition: €1497.00
All prizes are non-transferable. Cash will not be awarded in lieu of a prize, but Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value in its sole discretion. Prizes must be taken as stated and no compensation will be payable if a winner is unable to use the prize as stated. Winners shall bear sole responsibility for fulfilling any tax obligations associated with receipt and/or use of prize. Winners may be required to sign a declaration of eligibility and liability/publicity release in order to claim the prize.
8. Publicity: Except where prohibited, participation in the Competition constitutes winners’ consent to Sponsor's and its agents' use of winners’ name, likeness, photograph, voice, opinions and/or country for promotional purposes in any media, worldwide, without further payment or consideration.
9. Release: By participating in the Competition, to the extent permissible by law, entrants hereby release Sponsor from any and all claims, damages or liabilities arising from or relating to the acceptance of any prizes in connection with their participation in the Competition. Nothing in this clause shall act so as to exclude Sponsor’s liability for death or personal injury as a result of its negligence, Sponsor is not liable in the event that any portion of the Competition is cancelled due to weather, fire, strike, acts of war or terrorism, or any other condition beyond their control (a "Force Majeure Event").
10. Limitations of Liability: Neither Sponsor, its parent, subsidiary or affiliated companies, shall have any obligation, liability or responsibility with regard to (i) entries that contain incorrect or inaccurate information or do not comply with these Official Rules, (ii) entries, prize claims or notifications that are lost, late, incomplete, illegible, unintelligible, damaged or otherwise not received by the intended recipient, in whole or in part, due to computer, technical or other error of any kind, (iii) telephone, electronic, hardware, software, network, Internet or computer malfunctions, failures or difficulties, (iv) any condition caused by events beyond the control of Sponsor that may cause the Competition to be disrupted or delayed, or (v) any damages or losses of any kind caused by any prize or resulting from participation in the Competition, accessing, uploading or downloading data in connection with the Competition, or acceptance, possession or use of any prize. Sponsor do not guarantee that Game and/or Competition will not contain IT faults, or that faults identified will be remedied; nor can they guarantee that Game and/or sites to which Game operates do not contain viruses or other components which may cause damage to players’ computer equipment and/or data. Sponsor does not guarantee continuous, uninterrupted or secure access to Game. Numerous factors outside of the control of Sponsor may interfere with the operation of Game. To the extent permissible by law, Sponsor excludes all implied warranties, conditions and other implied terms. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any entrant tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Competition website or otherwise violating these Official Rules. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, further reserves the right to shorten, defer, alter, cancel, terminate, suspend or modify the Competition ((including without limitation the prizes offered) if the Competition cannot be completed as planned because of infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention or technical failures of any sort, and to select a winner from among eligible entries unaffected by such event, if any; it cannot be held liable for this on any grounds whatsoever.
11. Governing Law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Competition, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the Netherlands. Any dispute relating to their interpretation or execution that cannot be settled amicably must be brought before the competent courts in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
13. Rules: By entering the Competition, entrant agrees to abide by the terms and conditions of these Official Rules, which are final on all matters pertaining to the Competition, and warrants that he/she is eligible to participate in the Competition.